Read the text below and answer the questions!
Goal-----------------------------------Follow these instructions how to germinate petunia seeds
Materials --------------------You will need:
• A pack of petunia seeds.
• A seed tray or small pots.
• Loamy friable soil or potting mix.
1. Fill seed tray with soil.
2. Incorporate fertilizer into soil.
3. Scatter seeds on the surface of the soil.
4. Cover seeds with a 3 mm layer of soil. Press firmly.
5. Spray water to moisten to seed bed.
6. Place seed tray in warm, sunny position (at least 25 deg. C)
7. Keep soil moist by watering gently while seeds are germinating. Seeds will germinate in approximately 10 -14 days.
1. Where would you most probably find that kind of the text above?
2. How long will it take for a petunia seed to germinate?
3. What is the minimum temperature required when the seed is put in the sun?
4. How should you water seeds when they are germinating?
Read the text above and choose the word that is closest to the meaning of each of words as used in the text!
b. start growing
a. chemical substance
a. move to different directions
a. make dry
c. make wet
a. slowly and carefully
Read the following text carefully and answer the questions!
Text 1 for question 15-21
1. How to make “Milkavo” Juice
• 1 sachet of chocolate milk
• A glass of water
• 3 tablespoons of sugar
• Drinking straw
First, cut the avocado into halves take out the seed.
Second, pick the avocado flesh with spoon. Put it into the blender, pour the sugar and the water too.
Third, blend it well for two minutes.
Fourth, pour the juice into the glass and give some chocolate milk on it. Now the “Milkavo” is ready for you.
15. What kind of text is it?
a. Narrative c. Procedure
b. Recount d. Descriptive
16. What is part no. 1 of the text called?
a. Goal c. Title
b. Content d. Identification
17. How many kids of material do you need to make juice?
a. One b. Two c. Three d. Four
18. How much sugar do you need to make three glasses of “Milkavo” juice?
a. Three tablespoons c. Nine tablespoons
b. Six tablespoons d. twelve tablespoons
19. What material is not put in the blender?
a. Sugar b. Milk c. Water d. Avocado
20. Here are the tools we need in the text, except …
a. Knife b. Straw c. Blender d. Pan
21. “Cut the avocado into halves.”
a. Cut into three c. Sliced into four
b. Divided into two d. Chopped into pieces
Text 2 for questions 22-25
• 1 cup whole meal self-raising flour
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ½ cup oat bran
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ¼ cup almond flakes
• 2 large green apples
• 1 egg
• 2/3 cup milk
• 60 g butter, melted.
1. Turn oven to 220 C (425 F)
2. Grease 12 muffin pans.
3. Sift flour into a bowl; add sugar, oat bran, cinnamon and almonds.
4. Peel and grate the apples.
5. Put them into the bowl.
6. Mix egg, milk and melted better in a jug.
7. Add to bowl all at once.
8. Stir with a fork.
9. Almost fill the muffin pans with the butter.
10. Bake in oven for 15to 20 minutes until golden.
11. Serve the muffins warm with butter and jam.
22. Where do you cook the muffins?
a. In stove b. In oven c. In bowl d. In fork
23. How much butter is used?
a. 50 g b. 60 g c. 70 g d. 80 g
24. How long do you bake the muffin?
a. For 12 to 15 c. for 17 to 22
b. For 15 to 20 d. For 19 to 24
25. What do you use to stir?
a. Bowl b. Fork c. Oven d. Mixer
Text 3 for questions 26-29
Prepare a pan and some eggs.
Put some water in the pan.
Put some eggs in the pan.
Turn on the stove.
Put the pan on it.
Wait until the water is boiled.
Wait for 5 minutes.
The boiled eggs are ready.
26. What kind of dish is it based on the instruction?
a. Omellete. c. Sandwich.
b. Boiled eggs. d. Hot dog.
27. Where do you put the pan?
a. On the table c. In the cupboard
b. Near the water d. On the stove
28. “Turn on the stove”
The opposite of the underlined phrase is …
a. Take over c. Switch off
b. Clean up d. Get off
29. How many house hold appliances do we need to prepare the dish?
a. 2 b. 3 c. 4 d. 5
Text 4 for questions 30-32
1. Scratch the grey area with a coin to find 16 digits voucher number.
2. Dial *900 and follow the instructions or SMS to 555, type TOPUP
3. The amount stated on the voucher will be added to your asia/Wifone/Wimode account.
4. Dial *955/*555 or SMS to 555 and type: Talk time to check your remaining talk Time balance from your phone.
5. Active period 30 days. This could be changed without prior notice. Please Top up before end of active.
Dial *999 from Esia number or www.myesia.com. Produced by PT Bakrie Telecom TBK. Jakarta
30. The text is meant …
a. To promote the sale of the voucher in the future.
b. To remind customers not load their voucher.
c. To identify problems in reloading the voucher.
d. To tell Esia customers on how to reload the voucher.
31. There are … ways to check the remaining Talk Time balance.
a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4
32. “This could be changed without prior notice.”
The word “this” in the sentences refers to …
a. The length of active period. c. The price of the voucher.
b. The phone number. d. The activity of dialing.
Text 4 for questions 33-35
Cubes of lamb
Squares of green pepper
Tikka seasoning mixture
1. Cut onions into quarters.
2. Put cubes of lambs, squares of green pepper and onion squares on bamboo skewers and marinate them in Tikka seasoning.
3. Grill them
4. Serve them with salad (curry like seasoning from India)
33. What does the writer write the text for?
a. To inform how to serve a salad.
b. To explain how to make a salad.
c. To tell how to make Tikka kebab
d. To discuss how to make cubes of lamb.
34. How many ingredients are needed to make Tikka Kebab?
a. Three b. Four c. Five d. six
35. What does the word “them” in step 2 refer to?
a. Cubes of lamb and onions.
b. Onion, bamboo skewers, and salad.
c. Squares of green pepper and onions.
d. Cubes of lambs, onions, and squares of green pepper.
Text 5 for questions 22-24
How to save money in a bank
First go to the slip counter
Take a deposit slip
Fill out the deposit slip by writing your account number, the address and the amount of money to be saved
Bring it at the teller window
Endorse by signing at the back
Give the teller the money and wait for her to count and print it in your deposit book
Take the deposit book back
36. The text above is meant to?
a. Give instructions how to save money in a bank
b. Retell the experience of saving money in a bank
c. Give information about the job of a teller
d. Describe how to go to the bank
37. Which is not done when filling out the deposit slip?
a. Put the address
b. Write the account number
c. Wait the teller to count the money
d. Write down the amount of the money
38. “Bring it at the teller window.”
The underlined word refers to?
a. The money
b. The deposit slip
c. The address
d. The account number
First open your e-mail program and launch “ a new message window” by clicking on the appropriate icon.
Second Type the name/the email address correctly otherwise the message will return to you. You can also send your email to more than one person by entering multiple addresses.
Third Type the subject of your email/ message.
Fourth Write your message in the “Message window”
Fifth Click on the “send “ icon or select “send” the file menu.
Answer these questions.
1.Which one is the best goal for the above text?
a.Making an email program. b. A window message.
c. How to send email. d. Sending an email is very easy.
2. The statements below are wrong based on the text, except….
a. The text is kind of report. b. there are six steps in the text.
c. we can’t send our email to many recipients at once.
d. the email must be typed before it is send.
3. What is the social function of such text?
a. to tell how something is done in a series of actions.
b. to inform the material for doing something.
c. Describing the tools used in the text.
d. narrating the thing being processed.
4. What does the word “recipient” in the text nearly mean?
a. addressee b. person who send the email.
c. Recipe d. The writer of the email.
5. You have to…before clicking the “send”icon or selecting it from the file menu.
a. open the message program. b. type your name.
c. insert your picture. d. write your message.
Complete the procedure text below with the appropriate words.
First…(6)…the menu, then click messaging icon and open it. Click new message, after that click “type message”, three choices will…(7)…;choose”short message”.Then type the recipent or phone number. Write your message.
….(8)…click “select” and choose send.
6. a. close b.open c. send d. type
7. a.show b. appear c. click d. write
8. a. At least b. Before c. Finally d. After that
9. What does the text tell us?
a. The way to click message.
b. How to send email
c. How to connect recipent.
d. The steps in reading email.
The red Arrow Express runs from Hongkong to London.
Day 1. Monday-Depart London
After a champagne breakfast passengers depart Liverpool street station at 09.40 hours in the morning, traveling, via Harwich to the Hook of Holland. Overnight on the train.
Day 2. Tuesday-Osnabruck/East Germany/ Berlin/ Warsaw
Cross into East Germany, passing Berlin and Warsaw, and then on towards The Soviet Union border overnight on the train.
Day 3. Wednesday- Minsk/ moscow.
The border with the Soviet Union is reached just before night, then the train continuous through South Western Russia, arriving in Moscow at 15.00 hours. Transfer to the hotel.
Day 4. Thursday- Moscow
At leasure in Moscow with a programe of visit to some of Moscow’s museums and exibition.
Day 5. Friday- Moscow/Trans –Siberian Express.
Leave for the station after breakfast, boarding trans Siberian Express in the direction of Novosibersk.
Overnight on the train.
10. Which station does the holiday begin at?
a.Liverpool street b.East Germany
c. Osnabruck d. Harwich
11. When the train leaves London on day 1, What will the travellers have for breakfast?
a. Burger b. Bread c. Champagne d.Fried rice
12. What is the text about?
a. The travel information b. The holiday prices
c. A holiday tour d. A plan of journey
13. Day 5. “Leave for the station after breakfast”. The phrase underlined means…..
a. land up b. arrive at c. go to d. come out
14. How long will the tour last?
a. Three days b.Five days c. Four days d.Six days
15.How will the travelers go?
a. By airplane b. By Ship c. By bus d. By train
MAKING COLORED EGG
• Hard boiled eggs (cooled)
• Paper towels
• Food coloring
• Glass jar
1. Rinse eggs in cold water in cold water and dry it wiyh paper towels. To make the dye, pour half a small bottle of food coloring into a glass jar and add 300 ml of hot water.
2. Add 300 ml vinegar and 15 ml salt. Lower and egg into the jar of dye and leave for a few minutes. Check the color of the eggs regularly.
3. When the eggs has reached the desired color, lift it out and repeat the process with the remaining eggs.
16. What liquid do we need in making colored eggs?
a. salt b.glass jar
c. vinegar d. paper towel
17. Food coloring and hot water are needed to make ….
a. rinse eggs b. vinegar
c.paper towel d. dye
18. “Lower and eggs into the jar of dye and leave for a few minutes”.
The underlined word is similar to…..
a. Dip b. crack
b. Water d. peel
19. Which parts of the text do we get the way to make coloring eggs?
a. goal b. steps
c. material c. identification
20. From the text above we get information on….
a. What coloring eggs are
b. How to make coloring eggs
c. Where we can find coloring eggs
d. Which the best coloring eggs.
For questions 1 to 5, fill in the blanks with the suitable words!
I’ll…(1) you how to make apple juice. What you…(2) are 500 grams of apple without peeling them, 100 grams of …(3) sugar, 500 ml of water, and 2 spoon full of lemon. Now how to make it. First, boil the lump sugar and water until the lump sugar is…(4) in the water. Then mix the apple,lemon and the water of lump sugar.Finally…(5) it in a glass with lemon and mint’s leaf accessory.
1. a. make b. tell
c.have d. order
2. a. buy b. peel
c. need d. slice
3. a. lump c. bunch
b.basin d. kilo
4. a.mixed c. stirred
b. dissolved d. washed
5. a. submit c.sell
b. hand in d. serve
Withdrawing cash with an ATM card.
1. Read the directions.
2. Put your card into the slot.
3. Punch in your personal Identification number (PIN).
4. When the choices appear, select “withdrawal from checking.”
5. Enter the amount that you want to withdraw.
6. When your money appears, remove it.
7. When the machine ask if you are finished, press “yes”
8. Take out the receipt.
9. Take your card.
Answer the question!
6. What do you do after you put the card into slot when you want to withdraw money with ATM?
a. Read the direction b.punch in the pin
c. put the card again into the slot d. select the “ withdrawal from the checking”.
7. “When your money appears, remove it” . The word “it” here refers to….
a. The machine we use to withdraw money.
b.The amount of money we withdraw from the ATM.
c. The receipt we get from the machine.
d. The card we get after we insert into the slot.
8. When we have got the money we want to withdraw, What do we get?
a. Our ATM card. b. A new pin
c. “ yes” code from the machine. d. A receipt
9. What is the goal of the text above?
a. How to save money with ATM b. How to operate an ATM
c. How to withdraw money with an ATM card d. How to use the ATM card
10. “ Take your card” From this sentences, we know that the card will….
a. come out automatically
b. fall down from the machine
c. be in the machine all the time
d. pop out after long time.
The basic operation of a digital camera
Follow the steps below to take picture
1. Hold up the camera and center the object in the LCD
2. Move closer or use the zoom control for the result you want
3. When you ready …(1)…the picture, hold the shutter halfway. It is very important, so the camera sets the focus, shutter speed and various other calculation. This may take a few seconds.
4. A light should appear that lets you know the camera is set to go.
5. Press shutter all the way down.
It may be ….(2)…to turn off the LCD and use the view finder when there is extreme sunlight or to conserve battery life. The are from the LCD doesn’t work well with bright light.
1.a. to take b. to handle c. to hold d. to put
2. a. good b. necessary c. right d. bad
Complete the procedure text below with the appropriate words!
1. First,….(3)….the menu
2. Then click messaging icon and open it.
3. Click new message
4. After that click “Type massage” three choices will….(4)…; choose “short message”.
5. Then type the recipient or phone number.
6. …(5)…click “select “ and choose send.
3. A. close b. send c. open d. type
4. A. show b. click c. appear d. write